The ACT ATOD Workers Group is involved in the development, implementation, coordination, evaluation and promotion of key sector support activities for the alcohol, tobacco and other drug sector in the ACT. The group identifies and seeks to respond to a range of issues relevant to frontline workers. The group continues to function as an essential component of the sector’s governance and acts as a key advisory structure to ATODA.
The group implemented a workplan of diverse activities over the last 12 months with secretariat support provided by ATODA. Some priorities included:
- Informing ATODA’s capacity building and policy activities
- Undertaking updates (including COVID-19 specific updates) of the ACT ATOD Services Directory
- Identifying issues experienced by clients, workers and services due to the COVID-19 situation and identifying appropriate actions
- Providing guidance and advice to the development of proposals through submission processes regarding sector priorities
Workers Group members are:
- Alcohol and Drug Services, Canberra Health Services
- Alcohol Tobacco and Other Drug Association ACT
- AOD Program, Gugan Gulwan Youth Aboriginal Corporation
- AOD Program, Toora Women Inc.
- AOD Program, Winnunga Nimmityjah Aboriginal Health and Community Services
- AOD Programs, CatholicCare Canberra & Goulburn
- Canberra Alliance for Harm Minimisation and Advocacy
- Canberra Recovery Services, The Salvation Army
- Directions Health Services
- Hepatitis ACT
- Karralika Programs Inc.
- Solaris Program, ACT Corrective Services
- Ted Noffs Foundation
ATODA gratefully acknowledges the input and support of members of the ACT ATOD Workers Group.
Summary of Workers Group activities – December 2020
The ACT ATOD Workers Group met on 3 December 2020, and is progressing work across a range of areas. If you would like to get involved, please review the information below and liaise with the Workers Group representative from your agency.
December 2020 Summary of Workers Group activities
Activities / discussions included:
- Reporting on ADS, CRS, CatholicCare, CAHMA, Toora Women Inc., Karralika Programs Inc., Ted Noffs Foundation, and Directions Health Services activities and program delivery status
- Reporting on services Christmas and New Year Shutdown period and available support and the development of a special ebulletin
- Promoting CAHMA’s campaign for elimination of violence against women who use drugs
- Update on recruitment and new staff who have started at CatholicCare, Karralika, and Toora.
- Reporting on COVID-19 specific training for ACT AOD workers hosted by ATODA
- Discussed the format and timing of the Workers Group meeting
- Reflected on the year 2020 and the various challenges workers had to face and how they and the sector responded
- Thursday 4 February 2021
- Thursday 4 March 2021
- Thursday 1 April 2021
- Thursday 6 May 2021
- Thursday 3 June 2021
- Thursday 1 July 2021
- Thursday 5 August 2021
- Thursday 2 September 2021
- Thursday 7 October 2021
- Thursday 4 November 2021
- Thursday 2 December 2021
Please note that these meetings will be held from 12pm – 2pm.
The objectives of the Workers Group are to:
- Participate in the development, implementation, coordination, evaluation and promotion of key sector support activities including those identified in the ACT ATOD Strategy 2010 – 2014 (e.g. ACT Alcohol Tobacco and Other Drug Services Directory);
- Regularly identify and communicate a range of issues, including those experienced by clients, workers, and services and identify appropriate actions to address these;
- Actively inform and contribute to the work of ATODA, including representation on the ATODA Board of Management (e.g. policy submissions);
- Develop, monitor, implement regular workplans; and,
- Participate in evaluative and other reporting activities as identified.
The ACT ATOD Workers Group Terms of Reference outlines further details regarding the purpose, roles and membership of the group.
Alcohol Tobacco and Other Drug Association ACT
(02) 6249 6358