World No Tobacco Day is observed every year on 31 May and aims to draw global attention to the widespread prevalence of tobacco use and to its negative health effects. The day is supported by the World Health Organization and it’s member states. Further information is available at http://www.who.int/campaigns/no-tobacco-day/2017/event/en/.
Tobacco – a threat to development
Date: 31 May 2017
On 31 May 2017, WHO and partners will mark World No Tobacco Day (WNTD), highlighting the health and additional risks associated with tobacco use, and advocating for effective policies to reduce tobacco consumption.
The theme for World No Tobacco Day 2017 is “Tobacco – a threat to development.”
To find out more about the campaign or about WHO’s work on tobacco go to http://www.who.int/campaigns/no-tobacco-day/2017/event/en/
World No Tobacco Day 2012
ATODA sought to highlight the importance of effective tobacco interventions for vulnerable groups in it’s 2012 World No Tobacco Day media release.
For more information regarding tobacco and vulnerable populations see:
World No Tobacco Day 2011
An ACT World No Tobacco Day Symposium was held in 2011 by ATODA, in partnership with the ACT Government Health Directorate, Mental Health Community Coalition ACT and Youth Coalition of the ACT.
The symposium provided opportunities for participants to:
- Explore recent evidence regarding tobacco and tobacco management (including nicotine pharmacotherapies);
- Understand both the national and local policy and programmatic responses to tobacco;
- Explore recent developments related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and tobacco management;
- Find out about the implications of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) availability on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS), and how consumers may be supported to access this;
- Discuss strategic implications for tobacco management initiatives across the ACT, and support increased coordination;
- Network with other stakeholders.
For further information about the 2011 Symposium download the World No Tobacco Day Symposium Flyer.
Alcohol Tobacco and Other Drug Association ACT
(02) 6249 6358