ATODA) is looking for a highly skilled advocate and organiser to join their Canberra team. This role will see the successful candidate work in close partnership with the CEO and team to undertake policy and potentially program focused work whilst supporting a small team located on Canberra’s northside. We are a small, cohesive team looking to preserve and enhance our productive and supportive culture. We will work with you to ensure the role leverages your strengths and meets ATODA’s needs. In practice, this could mean you are hired as a deputy CEO, policy manager or senior policy officer. Salary will be negotiated accordingly and with due regard for your knowledge, skills and experience.
- Evidence-informed, leading-edge peak association improving the health of the ACT community
- Leadership role with policy development and potentially a programs management focus
- Contract up to two years. Potential for a permanent position at two years depending on the circumstances
- Flexible working conditions, with FTE negotiable between 0.6 and 1.0
ATODA is the peak body representing and supporting the non-government and government alcohol, tobacco and other drug (ATOD) sector in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT). ATODA’s vision is a healthy, well and safe ACT community with the lowest possible levels of alcohol, tobacco and other drug related harms. ATODA works for better interaction and integration between alcohol, tobacco and other drug researchers, services, policy workers, practitioners, consumers and their friends and families in the ACT and region. Further information about ATODA can be accessed at www.atoda.org.au.
Benefits and culture
- Work that matters and has a visible impact in the community
- Professional development opportunities and capacity for substantial professional growth
- Collegiate and engaging team environment with flexible work practices
- Generous NGO salary package with salary sacrificing available
- Great location and free parking
- Immediate start available but not critical for the right candidate
In this pivotal role, you will be responsible for supporting the CEO and in leading or working with a capable and dedicated team. Working in close partnership with the CEO you will contribute to providing high level policy advice, submissions, briefings and other written communication relevant to ATOD policy in agreed areas. Ideally and in addition, you will provide high level strategic, operational, quality improvement and project leadership for ATODA. All members of the ATODA team provide leadership in their areas of responsibility and expertise, and this will be expected of you, too. The extent of leadership will depend on the specific position sought, with a deputy CEO expected to provide leadership across the organisation. A background in the ATOD field is desirable but not essential for the right candidate.
Regardless of your role title, some of your responsibilities would likely include:
- ATOD sector focused policy work and development
- Represent ATODA at meetings, roundtables, seminars, and forums in consultation with the CEO
- Collaborate with colleagues and stakeholders to formulate ATODA’s contributions to policy processes as necessary (e.g., budget submissions, budget analyses, consultations, position statements)
- Project and program management
- Corporate governance and compliance
At the deputy CEO level, you would also be responsible for:
- Human resources oversight and management
- Strategic leadership and management
- Organisation-wide coherence, including across the staff team and organisation to ensure outputs of the organisation deliver on the strategic plan.
Please send an email with a CV and statement addressing selection criteria to email@example.com by 11:59pm on 31 January 2021. Please use the subject heading “Job application”.
Statements addressing selection criteria should not exceed 2000 words. Concise, compelling applications will be highly regarded. Statements should specify at the outset the specific position being sought (e.g. deputy CEO, policy manager or policy officer).
Essential selection criteria
- Ability to formulate policy in a complex and dynamic environment
- Ability to write persuasively and quickly
- Ability to hear and synthesize the views of multiple stakeholders
- Ability to effectively represent an organisation
- Ability to think and act strategically
- Ability to work constructively in a team, including providing leadership in areas of expertise and authority
- Sound understanding of the health sector, noting that knowledge of the Canberra health sector is especially highly-regarded but not essential
- Ability to research and learn quickly
Highly desirable selection criterion
- Knowledge of, and experience in, the ATOD sector
Applications not conforming to the requirements outlined above may not be considered. Candidates are encouraged to speak with the CEO before applying.
For more information
Please contact Devin Bowles, CEO of ATODA ph (02) 6249 6358.